Wednesday, August 13, 2008

2008 Summer Olympics


In case you didn't know, or were in a cave for the past week, the Olympics started this past Friday, so our TV has been constantly on the three different channels that we have in order to watch as much as we possibly can.

It's a little known fact, but I'm pretty much obsessed when it comes to Olympic swimming. If I remember right, it was during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney that I first watched swimming and was like, "That looks easy. I bet I could do that." Hence, my passion for swimming was born. It was the year after that that I started on the high school swim team, and everything was down hill from there. I still swim everyday (usually about a mile or so), and I think I've watched almost every event for swimming that's been on TV thus far these Olympics.

But if you haven't been watching, let me tell you, you're missing out on one of the greatest situations in Olympic history. Michael Phelps has already made history, actually I think it was made yesterday, when he became the first Olympian ever to have 10 career gold medals... and he's not done yet. Phelps is shooting to win more gold medals than anyone in a single Olympic games (which I think is 7), and he's already got five with three events left, and the way things are going, he probably will reach that goal.. or at least I seriously hope that he does. All in all, it's going to be a long time till we get another person even close to as good as Phelps is at so many events. He's truly an inspiration.

I've watched more than just Michael Phelps this week though. I stayed up way to late last night watching to see if the Women's Gymnastics team could get gold (which they didn't), and I watched a sport I've never seen before (Handball) and kind of want to learn to play.

But yeah, you should definitely watch the games. I'm excited for Track and Field to start, cause that'll be a blast to watch too.

No comments: