Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Fairly Bad Week

Why is it that Monday's always have to have some problem associated with them? Cause, man alive, it sucks having to deal with them sometimes. And they're even worse when it makes the rest of the week bad. And yes, in case you haven't already guessed, this is another of those ranting posts.

Monday morning, I slept through my first class because I had a test in the class later that day and didn't see the need to go and get all confused with new information..... and I just wanted to sleep in. So I got to take Tucker to school before I headed to take my test. We didn't notice anything wrong with the car before I dropped off Tucker, but as soon as I was leaving BYU, I started hearing a whiny, siren-ish sounding noise coming from the engine whenever I was accelerating. Obviously, I knew this wasn't a good thing, so I called Tucker to let him know that it was being weird, and then continued on my merry way.

Yeah, well... just as I was getting up the hill in between Provo and Orem on University Parkway (at the light just before University Mall), I tried accelerating and all that happened was the engine revved. Basically it felt like the car was in neutral, except for the fact that it was in drive. So, lucky for me, I was coming up to an entrance to the mall parking lot, so I turned in with the little momentum I had left and managed to get to a safe spot to stop. I called Tucker and tried driving the car again to see if it would actually work, and it did just about half the time, but the rest of the time it felt like trying to drive in neutral. So I called AAA and they got a tow truck dispatched to tow me to a mechanic. And, I don't know about all the rest of you guys, but I've never really had a car break down on me before, and so I was really stressing, and to add to the stress, I couldn't get ahold of anyone to come get me, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to go take my test... so pretty much I was on the verge of tears while I was talking to the AAA lady. Then when my brother called me back, I totally just started crying. I do that sometimes.

Well, the tow truck guy came and picked me up (and by the way, it was probably the most awkward car ride of my life), and we got the car to the mechanic's, and to add onto the problem of my car not working, the poor tow truck guy accidentally cracked our oil pan, and so now that had to be replaced too (we didn't have to pay for it though). So yeah, I managed to borrow Jenna and Jeff's car so that I could get to school, and the mechanic guy said that he would call us later that day to tell us what was going on. But we didn't get a phone call. Which made me even more worried.

Tuesday morning we found out the news. Our torque converter in our transmission was broken and would need to be replaced. The estimate was $1500-$2000. Yeah. We definitely didn't have the money to fix it, but Tucker's parents generously offered to cover it for us. We are SUPER grateful. They've helped us so much since we've gotten married, it's not even funny. There's like no way that we'll ever be able to repay them.. at least not for like 8 years.

So yeah, that's my story about that. I won't unload about my tests in anatomy that I have coming up in the next couple weeks. Needless to say, the month of March kind of sucks thus far. Maybe after spring break is done with it will get better.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Lauren,

I'm sorry about your bummer week! If you ever need a ride or help with anatomy stuff you can always call me. And also, you and Tucker should come over and play Wii before Ryan and I move to Oregon.