Sunday, June 29, 2008

Park City

So our trip to Park City this past Friday was a total blast! We only ended up going with Scott and Cathryn cause Ryan and Leah had to work (I think), but even so, it was one of the fun-est dates that we've ever been on. We left for Park City at about 5:30pm and got up there around an hour later. I've never been up there before, so it was really cool to see how gorgeous and slightly different that city is in comparison to Provo. It had kind of an old, New England/European feel to the way the houses looked, and it was easy to tell that the people that lived there were better off than everyone living in Provo.

But anyways, the actual walk through the mini-art galleries was really fun. Lots of the stuff was amazing to look at, though I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the 'modern/contemporary' stuff. And it was kind of funny too that more than one of the galleries had a faint smell of alcohol permeating them. Over all though, I think there were just two artists that I liked a lot. The first is Sergei Trukhan, and Tucker had seen his work the last time that he did this walk and liked him then. The picture that's included here to the right was the most amazing painting that I have ever seen. It's kind of hard to tell here, but when the lighting is shining just right on this, it sort of glows and looks like the light that's shining through the trees is actually real. Tucker and I have already decided that someday when we have a couple extra thousand dollars, we're definitely going to buy a copy of this painting.

While we aren't a huge fan of photographers, there was one husband/wife team, John and Debora Scanlan, that had simply beautiful pictures. I loved them so much, I convinced Tucker to let me buy one of their notecard sets for $15 bucks so that I can frame them and hang them in our bathrooms someday. I've never seen photos with such vibrant colors and such simple compositions look so amazing.









All in all, I'd definitely do that gallery walk again, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone here in Utah. It's a blast! Oh, and in case you were wondering, it takes place the last Friday of every month, and is in the historic downtown part of Park City.

On Saturday night we hung out with Ryan, Leah, and Scott and watched the movie Flawless. It was a pretty good movie, seeing as none of us had ever heard of it before. Demi Moore and Michael Cane star in it, and I probably wouldn't mind seeing it again. And last but not least of all the things we did this weekend, we went to Ellie Belnap's homecoming. She gave an amazing talk, and it was nice for me to finally meet her because I've heard so much about her. Her ward was ok, but the music director was..... well, it seemed like she was having a competition with the entire congregation on who could be louder. It was kind of hard to get into the right frame of mind for the sacrament when she was belting the song out like she was in a Broadway play. But oh well, can't blame her for liking to sing.

That's all for now I guess. On the 4th of July, we're going to have a BBQ with a bunch of our friends, so that should be fun, and I'll do my best to take pictures of it to post here.

***Note: For some reason, all of the links that I had for other people's blogs got deleted. I've got a few up again, but I don't remember all the ones that are supposed to be there, so let me know if you want your's on our list.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Lauren, I just wanted to say thanks for having us over for the BBQ. It was fun city, and I hope your foot has healed!