Thursday, September 25, 2008

Grrr.....

Warning: The following is a rant. Don't read if you don't want to hear Lauren complaining.

Stupid FAFSA and UVU.

I guess I should start at the beginning of the story. For those of you that don't, I transferred to UVU this fall from BYU to study Dental Hygiene. I didn't think that there would be any problems with this (money wise) because I'm now a Utah resident, and as such would get in-state tuition. I was wrong. I found out just before school was set to begin that I would have to pay out of state tuition this semester, even though I am a Utah resident now. The reasoning for this, given by UVU, is when I applied to the school back in December of last year, thinking that I would be starting classes in January, I wasn't a Utah resident. Well, I didn't start back to school in January for various reasons, but I didn't think that this would be a problem either. Well, turns out that I can't be changed to Utah residency until I've taken a full semester of classes because when I applied to the school I wasn't a resident. Basically this is a stupid, retarded technicality that I loathe a whole lot right now.

Well, while this was a minor setback, Tucker and I didn't think that it would be too much of a problem because we could get financial aid and it would completely cover my tuition. Wrong again. I found out today that I would only be awarded $2,241 this semester. So out of a $5,600 tuition, Tucker and I still have to pay for a majority of it. RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be able to pay for it (actually about $2000 of it was already paid by us), it's just retarded that it didn't cover everything, which we assumed that it would. Tucker's tuition will be covered, and we'll even get a little extra for him because of the SMART grant (it equals out to about $4000), so we'll stay afloat... but this whole thing is just really frustrating.

Stupid UVU and FAFSA!

3 comments:

Cathryn said...

So, so frustrating! I'm sorry! Stupid FAFSA is right. Scott & I only got $900 a semester this year because we made too much money last year. LAME! Stupid FAFSA, stupid BYU, stupid APX job where Scott made too much moolah. :P Wonder where it all went...

Ryan said...

If it makes you feel any better, you would have only been able to receive around $500 more at the maximum for the semester...but still that's $500... sorry.

Lauren said...

This comment is a test...